Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Scripture Study: Tuesday, November 29, 2011

2 Nephi 15:13

The children of Israel went into captivity "because they [had] no knowledge".

The children of Israel where given there own special choice land and land flowing with milk and honey (see Jeremiah 32:22).  But because they had no knowledge, may of them were killed and the remainder of them where carried away captive (see Lamentation 1:1-3).  

If knowledge is so important, how do we gain knowledge and what type of knowledge is most important?

One of the promised blessings to us as the children of Israel or "the covenant people of the Lord" is that in that last days is that we "shall come to the knowledge of [our] Redeemer [, Jesus Christ] and the very points of his doctrine, that [we] may know how to come unto him and be saved" (see 1 Nephi 15:14).

I submit to you that this "knowledge of [our] Redeemer,[ and Savior] and the very points of his doctrine" is the most critical "knowledge" we can gain in this life.

How do we gain this essential knowledge?

I believe there three ways we can gain this essential knowledge.
  1. Prayer, we should pray and ask Heavenly Father.
  2. Scripture Study
  3. The ministering of the Holy Ghost
Today I would like to talk about about the second way we gain this knowledge, scripture study.

First I would like to talk about the mechanics of scripture study.
  1. We must read them.
    1. Do you have a copy of the scriptures?
    2. vit sisters
    3. to truly gain the knowledge the Lord intends us to have, we must be able to read
      1. Book of Mormon stories
  2. time?
    1. 5 minutes Book of Mormon for the young women
    2. 15 minimum
    3. 30 minimum
  3. where?
    1. can read them anywhere
    2. personally
      1. mornings are best 
      2. quiet place with something I can take notes with
      3. Normal I read on the bus as I drive to work
Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book." 

We are councelled in the scriptures:

fest upon the words of Christ

How do we do this?  How do we feast upon the words of Christ?

There were two great talks about the scriptures in the last general conference:
  • Book of Mormon which Brother Monroy  gave an excellent talk on a couple weeks ago and Richard G. Scott's talk on make the scriptures our friends
Quotes from Brother Scott



No comments:

Post a Comment